Position: Plantation Store Sales Clerk
Reports to: Plantation Store Manager
Fair Labor Standards Act: Non-Exempt
Term: Part time
Hours per week: Varies
Works alone and with supervision in the Plantation Store to assist customers and perform general retail duties associated with the operation of a Gift Shop.
General Statement of Duties (with examples of duties assigned):
- Greet customers pleasantly and assist them in selecting purchases.
- Check sales floor daily to make sure items are correctly stocked and ready for sale
- Operate Computerized Point Of Sales System with courtesy, speed and accuracy
- Complete Posting Report: end of the day report for accounting, puts money and report in store safe
- Clean the store: dust, clean silver, shelves, wash floors, windows etc.
- Maintain watchful security.
- Receive and sort UPS deliveries. Weigh and mail UPS packages for the store and records information on the UPS internet shipping site
- Work weekends, weekdays, special events, and holidays as scheduled.
- Versatile lunch and breaks.
- Answer telephone and accept and fill orders.
- Wrap gifts and/or make up gift boxes for customers with tissue, ribbon and card.
- Unpack all sizes of boxes, and price stock with the help of manager
- Promote and sell Friends of Stratford Memberships
- Update ground passes, admission tickets
- Play Music CD’s for promotion as directed.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Gift Shop Manager
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Some Retail Sales Experience preferred
- Basic mathematical skills and selling techniques
- Ability to operate Computerized Point Of Sales System
- Works well with others, cooperative personality
- Loyalty and integrity
- Capable of working alone.
- Must be physically able to lift heavy boxes, climb stairs, unpack merchandise and stand for long periods of time.
- Must be 21 years of age or older to apply.
Version Dated: November 7, 2018
STRATFORD RESERVES THE RIGHT TO AMEND THIS JOB DESCRIPTION AT ANY TIME.
I have read, understand, and received a copy of this job description.
Employee signature Date
Submit job application to Janet Branson, Director of Gift Shop: email@example.com
Position: Building Preservation/Restoration Intern
Location: Stratford Hall, 483 Great House Road, Stratford, Virginia 22558
Duration: 10 Weeks
The Preservation Department of Stratford Hall is seeking a qualified summer intern to participate in its Preservation Internship program. The intern will assist in the day to day operations of the Preservation Department and will report to the Director of Preservation. Specifically, the internship will focus on the conditions assessment of Stratford Hall’s historic structures. This will include assessing the exterior and interior of all 15 historic structures at Stratford Hall. The intern will then compile the information into a useful report. This report will then be used by the Preservation Department to develop a Preservation Plan and to plan cyclical maintenance.
Time permitting the participant may also participate in the following activities:
- Updating Stratford Hall’s Historic Structure Report (HSR). Since Stratford Hall’s HSR was completed in 2010 extensive room investigations have occurred and need to be incorporated into the HSR.
- Perform hands-on preservation/restoration work on the historic structures. Most of this work will involve exterior painting. This will require the proper prep work for the painting and usually leads to wood repair work. Window glazing is another possible task that could be completed.
- Other hands-on opportunities may arise during the internship as well.
- Be involved in the day to day operations of Stratford Hall’s Preservation and Maintenance Departments.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- Knowledge of 18th Century building materials and techniques.
- Desire to work professionally in a museum setting.
- Ability to work independently.
- Working towards or recently completed a degree in the Historic Preservation Field.
- Knowledge of common architectural terminology.
- Hands-on historical restoration/preservation training and/or experience.
Compensation and Amenities:
A stipend of $1000 dollars for the 10 weeks will be paid. Along with the stipend, free on-site housing with kitchen and laundry facilities will be provided. The grounds of Stratford Hall and surrounding areas provide many outdoor activities that can be utilized during the internship.
About Stratford Hall:
Stratford Hall is located in Westmoreland County, Virginia on the beautiful Northern Neck of Virginia. Westmoreland County is a 45 minute drive from Fredericksburg, two hours from Washington DC and 90 minutes from Richmond. Stratford is set on 1,900 acres with 2.5 miles of Potomac River waterfront.
The National Historic Landmark Stratford Hall Great House and related buildings were constructed in 1738 and are among a handful of exceptionally intact survivals from colonial Virginia. In addition to the Great House, Stratford also features an operating reconstructed 18th century gristmill and extensive gardens. Stratford was the home of the Lee family, which includes two signers of the Declaration of Independence. It was also the home of “Light Horse” Harry Lee and birthplace of Robert E. Lee.
The landscape is primarily hardwood forests and pastures but also includes two gardens and extensive maintained grounds. Stratford also has a food service facility, two guesthouses and over 30 rustic cabins that were built to house Stratford’s board members during the twice annual meetings.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should send a personal letter of no more than 500 words, stating reasons for wanting to be an intern at Stratford Hall including their goals for the internship and dates available for work. A resume and list of two references should also be included.
Applications should be received by March 31st and mailed to:
Director of Preservation & Maintenance
483 Great House Road
Stratford, VA 22558
Or emailed with Preservation Field School Intern in the subject line to:
All questions can be directed to Phil Mark, Director of Preservation, at (804) 493-1975 or firstname.lastname@example.org.