- This event has passed.
Moonrise Kayaking Weekend
August 5, 2017 @ 4:30 pm - 8:00 pm
Enjoy paddling by the light of the setting sun and experience the serenity and wildlife of the evening river on Saturday, August 5, from 4:30 to 8:00 p.m. No paddling experience or equipment required. Plan to experience this rare opportunity for ages 13 and up. See and experience historic Stratford cliffs from the Potomac River, and possibly glimpse a variety of birds and wildlife. A whole new perspective is gained from 50-100 feet offshore as the sun sets and the moon slowly rises. The kayaking tour will be led by Denise and Bill Micks, retired school teachers who opened a Fredericksburg-based outdoor recreation and interpretive business in the early ‘70s.
This is a weather-dependent event. If the weather is inclement or the waters unsafe to proceed, all registrants will be notified as soon as possible prior to the beginning of the event and a full refund will be issued if cancelled. Life vests (provided) will be worn by all participants and Stratford Hall release forms will be given out and must be signed prior to the event. The kayak trips are guided, and instructors will offer safety education before, during, and after the event.
The kayaks to be used are Old Town traditional tandem kayaks. The kayaks are large and stable and offer easy access in and out. These kayaks are great for the absolute novice and for the “lazy” experienced kayaker. Participants are advised to dress for an early evening on the river in August, with suitable shoes, backpack with water and energy snacks, and waterproof camera (optional).
Cost: $40 per kayak; 2-person kayaks are $20 per person; both one and two–seat kayaks are available. For ages 13 and up. Pre-registration is required. The deadline for registering is Wednesday, August 2, 2017, at 5 p.m.
Schedule of Activities:
- Registrants should plan to be at the Mill overlook parking lot by 4:30 p.m. Registrants will park at the cliffs overlook.
- Stratford Hall staff to meet registrants at the Mill overlook then all will walk down the hill to the Mill parking lot. The Virginia Outdoor Center to meet at parking lot and begin orientation for the kayaking event.
- The “paddling” will last to about 7:30 p.m. when all will return to the Mill area.
- A van will be available to transport all to the top of the cliffs overlook.
- Event concludes at about 8:00 p.m.
To register, please contact Jon Bachman by email at Jbachman@stratfordhall.org or by calling 804-493-1972