- This event has passed.
Landscape Series: Family Trek – The Summer Forest
August 11, 2018 @ 9:30 am - 12:00 pm
Spend the morning enjoying the richness and beauty of summer as you accompany naturalists on a unique and expansive look at the plant, fungal, and animal life of Stratford Hall. Guests will hike the forests, meadows and water sources of Stratford during this causal yet informative experience.
Join Heather Bedford as she leads you and your family:
- Exploring the magic and the mysteries of the summer forest
- Touch, smell, and at times taste elements of the forest
- Learn to ID mushrooms, plants, trees, flowers
- Discuss medicinal folklore “usages”
- Explore the dark crevices of fallen trees, even under rocks to search out “wildlife” hidden there
- Encourage lifelong interest in nature and the outdoors
Heather Bedford is a Westmoreland county native that has studied medicinal plants for over 20 years and has been actively working with others through consultations, classes, and wild medicinal plant walks. She is also Certified Virginia Master Naturalist, member of The American Herbalist Guild, and Farmer. She practices a bio-regional folk tradition that combines elements of the Wise-woman tradition, Western Eclecticism, and Southern Folk Healing.
Plan to bring along your camera and a backpack with snacks and drinks.
Cost: Adults 12 and up – $10
Children 11 and under – Free
Friends of Stratford members – Free
Preregistration is required on or before August 9. For more information and to register, contact Jon Bachman, 804-493-1972 firstname.lastname@example.org