Stratford Hall has a large collection of architectural salvage fragments removed from the Great House and outbuildings during the 1930s. While some later architectural historians have debated Fiske Kimball’s rationale for removing architectural elements dating to the Federal Period alterations in the main house, it is fortunate that he saved much of the trim and elements of key features. Remaining fragments of the northwest stair, dating from circa 1790, will significantly facilitate plans for the reconstruction of the stair scheduled for later this year.
Some of the more interesting examples from this collection are exhibited on the walls of the Preservation Gallery in the Visitor Center. Other architectural fragments in the collection include pieces of stone balusters, steps, and railings – some of which were parts of the two exterior stairs removed in the 1930s and others that were found on the grounds or during archaeological excavations.
For more information on the architectural fragment collection, contact Director of Preservation Phil Mark.