- This event has passed.
Star Party Weekend at Stratford
May 6, 2017 @ 6:00 pm - May 7, 2017 @ 12:00 pm
Stratford hall is partnering with the Rappahannock Astronomy Club https://www.raclub.org for this event. If you want to learn more about astronomy and the night sky, we invite you to attend our public star party. Beginners are welcome! Owning a telescope is not a requirement — but if you have one, club members will help you learn how to use it. We can provide expert advice and instruction on telescopes, accessories, books, and star charts, as well as how to observe the night sky. Need help getting started in astronomy? The first step is learning the sky. To get started, you don’t need an expensive telescope, you just need a few simple printed resources and a willingness to go outside at night and look up.
The evening Saturday, May 6 program, held from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. on the Oval, is FREE TO THE PUBLIC.
Saturday event schedule:
- 6:00 PM – 7:00PM (if acceptable weather and sky conditions) An informal lecture on the Oval from members of the Rappahannock Astronomy Club
- 6:00 PM – 7:00 PM (if unacceptable weather or overcast sky) A lecture will be offered in the Council House
- 7:00 PM – 11:00 PM Event proceeds as planned on Oval. Attendees will have the opportunity to visit with astronomers and discuss the evening viewing
The Sunday morning, May 7 activity, held from 9:30 AM to 12 noon on the Oval, costs the regular admission price of a grounds pass.
Sunday event schedule:
- 9:30AM – 12:00 noon Solar Viewing on Oval if acceptable weather and sky conditions.
- 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM If inclement or overcast sky conditions exist, there will be a lecture offered in the Council House.
As an added bonus to the event, participants can meet Dean Howarth, renowned actor, educator and historical interpreter, portraying the famed eighteenth-century astronomer David Rittenhouse of Philadelphia. Rittenhouse was known for his observations of the Transit of Venus across the Sun in 1769 which helped measure the size of the solar system.
Parking will be in the administrative building parking lot. Bathrooms will be available. Bring your snacks and flashlights!
The public is advised to call Stratford Hall (804-493-1972) beforehand if the weather forecast is uncertain.