- This event has passed.
October 14, 2017 @ 11:15 am - 3:00 pm
Enjoy the beautiful fall foliage while paddling down the Potomac River. Join us on Saturday, October 14, from 11:15 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. for this one of a kind kayaking experience. No equipment required, beginners welcome, ages 13 and up only.
This is a weather-dependent event. If the weather is inclement or the waters unsafe to proceed, all registrants will be notified as soon as possible prior to the beginning of the event and a full refund will be issued if cancelled. Life vests (provided) will be worn by all participants and Stratford Hall release forms will be given out and must be signed prior to the event. The kayak trips are guided, and instructors will offer safety education before, during, and after the event.
The kayaking tour will be led by Denise and Bill Micks, retired school teachers who opened a Fredericksburg-based outdoor recreation and interpretive business in the early ‘70s. The kayaks to be used are Old Town traditional tandem kayaks. The kayaks are large and stable and offer easy access in and out. These kayaks are great for both the absolute novice and experienced kayaker. Personal kayaks are not permitted.
Participants are advised to dress for an early afternoon on the river in October, with suitable shoes, backpack with water and energy snacks, and waterproof camera (optional).
- 11:15 a.m. – Registrants should plan to be at cliffs overlook parking lot to meet Stratford Hall staff.
- 11:30 a.m. – Participants will be led down the hill to the river.
- 11:45 a.m. – The Virginia Outdoor Center staff will begin their orientation
- 12:00 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. – Paddling along the Potomac River
- 2:45 p.m. – All will return to the Mill area.
- 3:00 p.m. – Stratford Hall van will be available to transport participants to the cliffs overlook parking lot.
$40.00 Per kayak, single or double available
Registration required. Last day to register is Thursday, October 12, at 5 p.m. To register please contact Jon Bachman at 804-493-1972 or email@example.com.